Translate

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

This is Probably What Beyonce Feels Like

I have been booked to speak at the very popular open house of my academic institution. I have an audience of about 400-1000 people a night ( for two nights). I got to the venue 45 minutes early and people were already taking their seats. I warmed up a few other performers forgetting the words I so perfectly aligned. As the closing speaker, I feel a lot of pressure to do well and leave the audience in a good mood. I was introduced, stood up promptly, and approached the podium. I took a deep breathe and said "okay" before I started in on my speech. Talking to what felt like one million people was way easier than my early debate days when I would have 4-5 people watching me. Once the light is shined on you and everyone is staring at you, there is no time for stage fright. As I speak, I realize that I can be myself and give shout-outs to all the people that have helped me. I continue on to list all the amazing achievements and strives that I've made, and the audience starts clapping. The sounds of the applause fuels me to carry on through the speech and speak from the heart.  I start talking about my plans for the future and the audience continues to applaud me (for what I assume was my forward thinking). I conclude my speech like the way a pop star strikes a final pose at the end of a concert. I say the final words "thank you" and the audience erupts with applause. More than anything, I feel amazing because I delivered a quality speech and others respected me for it. Before I could even make it off stage well, people would come up to me to shake my hands, ask me questions, compliment me on my speech, or even just to congratulate me on all of my achievements.
The excitement of being backstage, the rush of performing, and the love of adoring fans. I just think to myself, "This must be how Beyoncé feels."

Here's a video of my performance lol:




1 comment: