Translate

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

FoMO 0_O (Fear of Missing Out)

The fear of missing out is an actual problem emerging as a psychological disorder. I completely understand--in this age of social media, it seems like you can know everything about a person without every conversing with him or her. I do have a solution for people with crippling fomo. The best way to treat fomo is to attempt to rationalize the situation and distract yourself with another activity (besides social media usage).  I know when I've experienced fomo, it has occurred when I was using social media and I'd see people I know at a party or concert or just hanging out without me.  I've learned that pictures can be very deceiving.  For instance the other day, I posted a picture on Instagram that I  had taken a while back. Since I didn't add hashtag "throwback" or something suggesting I took the picture before it was posted, there was no way to prove I hadn't taken it that very Wednesday night. In addition, the times when I've had the most fun, my friends and I did not take pictures because we were too busy to document our every move.
If I ever feel fomo creeping in to bring me down or attack my self-esteem, I start searching for scholarships, writing poetry, reading, or literally any other activity to distract myself. I'm sure that if I wasn't invited somewhere, I'd be happier in my room in the comfort of my home rather than being out in the wrong place at the wrong time.

2 comments:

  1. I also experience that too, it is not the best feeling at all. Anyways, great post :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also experience that too, it is not the best feeling at all. Anyways, great post :D

    ReplyDelete