Translate

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Not Even a Pageant Girl

STORY TIME:
So yesterday I decided participate in phase one of being a pageant girl. This process is surprisingly intricate. First, they mail you your secret code and the place and time to meet up. Then, you enter a room full of hopeful girls sitting on the right and their emotional support sitting on the left. You then fill out your application and make small talk with the surrounding girls until the presenter approaches the front of the room. She then begins her speech about this process, informing everyone of the main goal of pageants and the benefits of participation. From here, she reveals that what appeared to be a mere information session is actually our (possible pageant girls) first interview. The room gets really tense. In a brave attempted to distress her little lost lambs, she asked all of the people with no prior pageant experience to raise their hand. At that very moment, 97% of the people in the room raised their hands in synchronous. Everyone giggles a little which brings the room back to its original homeostasis. She then begins to send the girls-row by row- off to interview. I happened to be in the last rows so I got to see most of her speech uninterrupted.

She started of explaining how she's rather young and just got engaged (Congrats!) and went into the pageant details. The information session aka the preliminary round is when they provide information and preform one on one impromptu interviews. These interviews are to see if said potential pageant girls have personality. The presenter emphasized the importance of smiling to make a good impression on the interviewer. If the potential pageant girl gets accepted as a finalist, she then has to go to a 3-5 hour training class and another interview with the judges. The very next day is the rehearsal and final production. The final production is when the finalist model their casual wear, formal wear, and answer questions. At the end, a winner is crowned.

This was the point where I had to go to interview. I sat down with the interviewer and she immediately compliments me on my hair. She asks questions like ‘why do you want to be a part of the pageant?’ and ‘how would you rate yourself from 1-10?’ She was very nice and seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. Of all the interviews, I believe ours was the longest, but that might have been because I like to talk (lol).

I’m really happy I stepped outside of my usual activities to participate in something so different. It really helped humanize the girls in magazines and the ladies from Miss Universe. It really showed that I can be anything I want to be, even if I’m not even a pageant girl.

If I were a pageant girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment