Translate

Saturday, May 9, 2015

What I Did To See The Hollywood Sign

It's been said that people do crazy things for love. I think comparing all my efforts to see the Hollywood Sign to the crazy things people do for love, I measure up with the craziest. I had to take 3 taxis, purchase 2 tickets and climb 1 ginormous mountain just to catch a glimpse of the Hollywood Sign. I also had to avoid angering the under informed and non existent supervisors while keeping track of 14 other wild gorillas (aka 14 other teenagers).

STORY TIME
Everyone is up and ready to go to Los Angeles, California at about 8 am. We are delayed long enough for me to get a sandwich and for the adviser to hear about our plan which was already in progress. We all climbed into 3 different taxis and went to the train station. We are purchasing one way tickets and our advisers force everyone to buy a 2nd ticket so they know for sure we have a planned mode of transportation home. One of the people had to go back early so he bought an earlier ticket and I decided to go back with him so he wouldn't travel alone. We also realize that our supervisor is livid due to the lack of information provides as well as the lack of permission requested. We all sit to wait for the train near the tracks and then some creep takes out his phone and starts snapping pictures/taking videos of us. We walk to get on board and he is following us with the camera on his phone. One girl yells at him to stop recording us and he cowers away like the creepy coward he is.  We arrive in LA and attempt to all stick together on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The Hollywood Walk of Fame was not fun just because you can't really enjoy the stars on the ground. The excitement of seeing something you've only seen in movies is diminished with all the tourists, hustlers, impersonators who charge you to take a picture, and the creeps. Thus the reason our attempt to remain 15 people united only lasted for all of 3 seconds. The Fab Five (the five loudest roommates) wanted to stopped at every single star, another group wanted to go to the Hollywood Sign, and another group just wanted to eat. We all had to disperse at lunch because half of the group wanted to go to In-N-Out Burger (which we went to yesterday) and everyone else wanted to go to Subway. The Subway group finished eating first so we all ordered taxis to take us to the Hollywood Sign. My taxi made it and the other taxi went to an observatory on the opposite side of town. This is awful because the other person who had an early ticket to the train was in the other car. While waiting for the other taxi of the Subway kids, my group entered a restricted area to get better pictures with the Hollywood Sign. That was great and really cool, until we realized that I should find the other person who was supposed to leave early. They couldn't find us and we couldn't find them. We were also in the mountains and the reception was atrocious. We literally spent an hour trying to find them which included 3 walks up and down the mountain. So the In-N-Out group rolls up in their taxi and they start yelling about how they saw the other Subway group down the mountain. Everyone started yelling so loud that a woman exited her home to ask if there was something going on. So at this point, I'm so pressed for time that if I don't make it down the mountain in the next minute, I'll miss my train. I beg the taxi driver to take me and he refuses. Ignoring the white noise of everyone screaming at each other and using profanity,  every song on the radio as our taxi driver accumulated traffic and speeding violations. An hour and half later, the other person and I ring the doorbell of the lady we disturbed and used my charm to have her give me a ride down the mountain. I reunite with the other person leaving early with 10 minutes to catch a train that I know is going to be at least 20 minutes away. Our taxi driver offers to take us back and we take the offer. I was singing/rapping and I made it back to the hotel.

So yeah, I went through all of that to see the Hollywood Sign.


This selfie was so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment