Translate

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

(Good) Discomfort

I really don't like discomfort. By discomfort, I mean anything that has potential to upset me. I don't like scary movies, over aggression, or getting upset. All of those things cause me to have great discomfort. My class requires us to study the Holocaust. The Holocaust is an awful event that took place and its horrific to think about the evils that humans are willing to commit against other humans. I understand that we have to learn about it yearly to prevent this type of repetition in history. However, I still don't enjoy it. The word alone has the ability to glaze a room full of rowdy teenagers in wave of discomfort and sadness. It was suggested that the class watch Schindler's List. I know personally that I wouldn't be able to handle that. There's a huge difference between reading about the horrors and having to sit back and watch them take place. Fortunately, we were allowed to watch Life is Beautiful . This movie is also very sad from midpoint on. What I like is that the film creators didn't feel the need to show you the gory horrors, rather, they allowed the intelligence of the human mind to fill in the gaps of the unseen violence. This movie centers in on the love an innocent man has for his family and how much effort he puts into preserving his son's innocence. It really shows that life is beautiful and the love that this one man has is almost enough to help remove all the hate seen in his environment. So even though the topic of the movie made me feel uncomfortable and sad, it was necessary. Not a necessary evil, but a good discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment