Translate

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Host Family: Day 10


This is my second and last day off to spend time with my family. I start off the day going to help my mama and baba move things from grandmas house. Then baba stops the car in the middle of the road (a regular occurrence in China), and mom and I jump out. My mom heard I wanted to but some stuff to give to my friends and that I wanted to buy a new suitcase so we went to this small hole in the wall store. We walk in and immediately start touching, inspecting, and playing with all the stuff. I tell my mama I want 5 fans, she picks out 6. We look at a crowded space and there are a bunch of different suitcases. In the middle of them, a brand new Perry Ellis suitcase. I really want it, but I think it was to expensive. My mama, on the other hand, thinks it's nothing saying 没问题 no problem. We go through the store and pick out more things like socks and neck pillows. By the time everything is said and done, my mom spends ¥578 on me. That's about $90. I repetitively thank my mom and then we come back home and my baba has bought me an identical new carryon suitcase.

My sister and I secretly eating McDonalds ^_^
My sister takes me shopping and I see sooooo many people. Or as I should say, soooo many people see me and I buy most of the gifts I want to give my friends. We eat McDonald's, sip bubble tea, and get stared at by the locals...you know, your average Sunday. An old lady came with a bowl that had ¥2 inside. I have not seen homeless people as intensely as I do at home,but when I do see homeless people, they are extremely impoverished. I don't have any ¥1 bills so I give her ¥5. She is elated and then gives me her blessing. In this moment,  I'm just thinking about how I can accomplish one of my goals (help people, travel, and eat amazing food). In this moment, I have the opportunity to help someone and I take it. I'm proud of myself and my understanding of compassion. If I were that old woman, I could only hope that others would be willing to help me.




No comments:

Post a Comment