Translate

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Beijing: Forbidden City and Silk Road (Day 3)

Meeting my new friends <3
Today we make our way to the Forbidden City. It's humongous and well built; it's the equivalent of steeping into an AP World History book. My favorite part is the people I see there. As previously mentioned, I draw a lot of attention and it is because of this that I've learned how to understand the importance of body language.  For instance, it is so sunny and I am wearing my sunglasses. I can see everyone else, but no one knows where I'm looking. I realize that me shielding my eyes makes some of the locals uncomfortable so I remove them and smile. It helps the locals recognize that I am friendly and approachable. I take pictures with so many people-a woman and her baby, some teenagers, and an old woman. It's so amazing to have others display appreciation for my appearance. My favorite were a group of little kids and their chaperones. One little girl was looking at me with friendly curiosity so I smile and wave at her. She walks away from her parent and stands right in front of me. She holds my hand and her mom starts smiling asking to take a picture. We take soooo many pictures that my director asks them to move faster. There's just such a purity and curiosity in little kids and it's something I truly appreciate.

Inside the Forbidden City
Afterwards, we go to "Silk Street" which is actually just an indoor mall where bargaining is allowed. I personally don't like bargaining very much. It feels good when you get a good deal, but I'd rather not get a good deal on the back of another person. My heart is really big and I don't have it in me to low ball someone. I buy some tshirt a for my family and then I see a pair of headphones I like. The lady starts off at ¥880. I tell her ¥100. She tells me ¥680. I tell her ¥130. She says ¥600. I tell her I can look at other headphones. She pleads for me to buy the "newest headphones" at ¥300. I tell her it's still too high and that I can return after I visit other stores. She says fine at ¥130 and asks me what color I want. She also tells me I am beautiful, modest, and noble for bargaining with her in Chinese. She probably wants to get me to buy more stuff, but I appreciate the compliment.

P.S. Thank you so much for reading, sharing, and commenting on all of my posts. I've recently received my first message from an international reader from Suriname and it makes me so happy to see how far my blog extends and to what extent it helps people. Thank you so much <3

No comments:

Post a Comment