Translate

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Coming Home: Shortest 14 Hours

Today is the day everyone goes back home. Today is the day all 36 participants, teachers, and supporting faculty go back to the United States. The ride starts off with a light layer of sadness. I know that when I wake up tomorrow I won't see signs in Chinese or the amazing people that I've grown to love. With every second, another drop of sadness falls onto the heart. Within minutes, hearts are heavy; some people begin to cry. I refuse to cry because (just as I said when I left my host family) this is just a transition period. Its hard because we will all miss this unbelievable experience and all the relationships we've made along the way, however, we should accept the experience for what it is: unforgettable.

Jane, Nancy, and Carol :P
This group has laughed together, learned together, discussed conspiracy, religion, and all other questions of the world together;parting ways, we even cried together. The beauty lies in the funny memories that I share with my friends such as when we decide to flaunt our rich and famous ego by wearing our hotel robes (both inside and outside) for everyone to see or when we all had to leave our host families (which was super sad).

I have done things that I never would have dreamed of like jumping in front of the Olympics Birds Nest (or on the Great Wall ) or dancing in a show with my friends. These individuals and I have experienced so much together and that's a bond that will never be broken. 



From an objective view, 45 days is a long time to spend with the same group of people and 14 hours is a long time for a plane ride. In actuality, these past 45 days and 14 hours have been the shortest of my life. I can be happy going home knowing I accomplished everything I set out to accomplish and more. I have improved my Chinese language skills primarily in reading and writing. More importantly, I made so many new friends and shared so many memories with these amazing people. Such an experience is something I'll never forget.
Shanghai Bund

1 comment:

  1. :')
    wow touching story! glad to have u back Camille! can't wait to hear stories in person! miss you! see you at school ;p

    ReplyDelete