Translate

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Fighting My Stereotypes

STORYTIME:
Today I had to answer the prompt of what my stereotypes are and how I overcome them. This is my response.

My Stereotypes:
I am black so I must be poor, ignorant, and ugly.

 I am so much more than my stereotypes. People come up to me every day asking me about “trap” houses and things that they find “ghetto”. Going to a predominantly Caucasian school, they combine things they don’t understand about the African American culture with their ideas of rap moguls and they associate that with me. I have nothing to do with drugs, alcohol, or ignorance. It is not my skin that makes me ugly, but it is I who make my skin beautiful.

What these people don’t know is that I am a 16 year-old girl who has started her own store, maintains a unweighted 3.94 GPA, and speaks Chinese. They don’t know that I’m a volleyball player and a dancer who has been making contacts with the leaders of Fortune 500 companies since 2014. They don’t recognized that I am the sophomore who continues to apply for these scholarships who just so happens to be of Haitian and African descent. I am not my hair and I am not my skin. I am the beautiful soul that lives within.


No comments:

Post a Comment