Translate

Friday, August 7, 2015

Not so Secret Security


I'm generally unperturbed by security officers because they typically patrol a large area and I only really see them in the event that there are too many people in one space/not enough people in a space. I went to an art museum today and I must say that they had enough (not-so)secret service men (and women) standing around that it actually caused me discomfort. A stressful discomfort which is not unlike that of the anxiety I get every time I go shopping and the salesperson insists on "helping" me by persistently questioning me and following me around. The difference is that this exhibit had all of their security dressed in black suits and they would stand obnoxiously in the middle of an open space. Saying nothing, simply disturbing you with their presence. There were 7 guards per one visitor. I assume one got bored of supervising no one, as a result,  she moved so that she also could stare at me. I understand safety and protecting  art that's already encased in glass, but that was security overkill. If the security causes customers discomfort, the exhibit owner is actually hurting his/her own potential profits.

No comments:

Post a Comment