Translate

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Trouble in Winning

This past weekend I got in big trouble due to a terrible case of normative conformity. Normative conformity is when a person conforms based off a fear of being rejected by the group. See, the entire weekend I felt as I had been left out and people thought I was acting indifferent. However, in this period of smoke and mirrors (aka high school) , teenagers especially, only see with their eyes. They tend to fail to analyze the entire situation and come with reasonable explanations for things they don't. understand.

STORY TIME:
So, this past weekend I was in Orlando, FL for the BPA State Conference. I had already done very well in my event and I was ready to have fun. So some acquaintances of mine and I went out and played around in downtown Disney. From there we all went back to the hotel. All of us go back to my room. The problem is some of the people who came back to the room where male when it was an all female room. There was a rule that stated males/females may not be in the room of the opposite sex unsupervised. Then, the guys stayed in our room past curfew. At about 1 a.m., there is a knock at the door and everyone freezes. Unfortunately, the person who was talking the most should have talked the least. For her natural reaction was to lie to the BPA administration. BAD IDEA! Then, to try to cover up those lies, she lied to our school chaperones. WORSE IDEA! Then, she tried to make everyone stick to the story. ABSOLUTE WORST IDEA. With seven people in trouble, there is always that one person that goes rogue. Unfortunately for her, there were three. And I was one of them. I insisted on telling the truth, which I would have to do until eight hours later before awards. I finally had my turn to explain what really happened. MORE IMPORTANLTY,  I did win 1st place, making me the BPA State Champion of Human Resource Management.

ANALYSIS:
Everyone was so fearful they would get in trouble or social expelled that they either lied, blamed other, or told the truth. Lying is a bad idea, but occasionally one can get away with it. Group lying (v. to lie with one or more people) is a terrible idea because there are too many variables and everybody's memory is not going to the same. Especially, if that "memory" never happened. Blaming others isn't that great of an idea either because it makes you look weak and deflecting fault upon others is a sign that you are guilty. Innocent people have no reason to deflect blame, for they are innocent. The best way to solve this problem is to tell the truth. Even though at first an authority figure may get mad, it's important to realize the anger is a temporary emotion and in the end they will most likely be more lenient with those who were honest that those who chose to be deceitful.

No comments:

Post a Comment