Translate

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Harrassment at the Hospital

STORY TIME:

So I went to work at the hospital and I experienced another case of verbal harassment from a patient. The first case was my 2nd time working as a VOLUNTEER and a patient threatened to "piss" on me. Not that "lively" patients are unusual, but I had to write about this guy because he is on a definitely on a different level of what could be regarded as crazy. He uses the call button every five minutes to bombard the staff with a concoction of profanity and confusing instructions. When I went to answer his call, he demands "give me a f***ing pencil". I bring him a pencil. He responds with "paper mofo". As he's on the phone, he is referring to me as "all deez (insert N word)" as he says " I don't need all these  N words in my business". Then he demands me to "write down the damn number" in which he hasn't provided. So when I ask him what number to write down, he  responds with "I don't f***ing know!". Then I write down the 6 digit "phone number" that he recites and I leave him to his own personal crazy.

ANALYSIS:
This patient is in the hospital, yet he harasses the people who are supposed to help him. That's like biting the hand that feeds you. These people are nurses and doctors that are trying to nurture this patient and provide care for him, yet here he is verbally abusing everyone who walks in. People are hard enough to deal with when they're sick. So imagine one sick person times 48. We have to deal with 48 ill people and their families. There are people who are polite and who respect those who are helping them, to those people I am extremely grateful. Then, there are those people who think that the hospital staff are their personal servants.Then, there are special patients like the one featured in today's story time.  All in all, I'm not even angry at the patient, I feel more concern for him. He doesn't even realize his behavior is inappropriate. That just shows me that the environment he grew  up in was full of adults who used heavy profanity to solve their problems. Now that he is an adult he is using explicit language to intimidate people into doing what he wants them to do. I find that very sad :(

No comments:

Post a Comment