Translate

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Countdown to China: The Pre-Departure Orientaion


Hi everyone.
Today I attended my first (of many) Pre-Departure Orientation. It was very interesting, well done, and detail oriented. I could enjoy the time the faculty and administration put into program preparation. At first, we all had breakfast and met all the program administrators; we went over the program expectations (from both the students and the faculty). Although we were in the meeting nearly all day, it wasn’t bothersome just because it was so well balanced with fun bonding activities. They showed us some very inspiring and motivating videos from Foreign Service Officers and past participants. Then, we had lunch and took a language placement test. I was very nervous and I knew I would probably be demoted from the advanced class to the high intermediate because I haven’t had access to a Chinese class in a year and I don’t know how to read and write as well as I can speak. I will definitely be working on that on the plane tomorrow. Afterwards, we went through the guidelines and student code of conduct word for word, but what I most appreciated was how the director was very honest and straightforward about why the rules were written and what the negative consequences were when past participants violated said rules.

My new family <3

 I really appreciated how genuine everyone is being and how the administration is supportive of all our goals. I know they will push me just as hard as I push myself so that I can reach my full potential and that’s something I look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment