Translate

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Summer '17: New Orleans

Hi everyone!
Even though I'm in the process of moving and am a few days away from starting school, I'm still a teenager and I like to have fun. I think it's important to make the best of these last few rays of summer sun, so I stopped in New Orleans!

New Orleans is a lot of fun with lively people and a bursting energy. It looks like an old fashion French town dressed up in Caribbean colors. There's this appreciation for individuality and creativity that I haven't seen anywhere else. There are lots of mom-and-pop shops with little to no mainstream fast food places. There are small stores that sell custom made masks and bustiers. There are legendary restaurants with delicious creole food and specialized treats. Even the living spaces are built upward in layers with different tropical plants on each floor. Everything is a piece of art and everyone here has some sort of talent. The smooth, mystical, hypnotizing vibe of  New Orleans is really something one can only truely understand through personal experience.

Sometimes the beauty of New Orleans can be so captivating, it can make all other things disappear. I had been walking up and down Bourbon Street for a long time constantly looking up at the European architecture. When I looked down, I was finally able to see the line of homeless people and their various scattered items all over the sidewalk. I could finally hear them calling out to other hypnotized tourists for help; I could finally see them creating little scams to trick visitors into giving them money. It was saddening and added one more thing to the list of things I had never seen before. Although homelessness to this extent is disheartening, I still have pride in the street performers, street merchants, and -- yes -- even the scammers of New Orleans. Instead of sitting at home doing nothing or stealing things, they work their hardest to earn cash through tips. That is so admirable and displays honor and mental strength. Even those struggling in New Orleans add to its Creole charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment